Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Tumbling Feelings

Last night was Lillian's 5th night of gymnastics, which means that in the next 2 weeks I have to decide if she will be doing the next session or not.  Here's my issues...
  • I wasn't able to get there on time last night and while on my way in I got a message from Brian saying that she was refusing to do anything the instructor asked.  When I got there she jumped up and ran to me to get a hug.  I calmly hugged her and told her "You need to participate and do what the teacher tells you."  She said "Ok, I will" and she did the rest of the time.  We certainly aren't going to pay for her not to participate.
  • She seems a little behind to me on some of the physical things.  Part of me says she needs to stick with it, maybe she will learn faster, the other part says if she isn't doing it right should she be doing it?  There are between 3-6 kids in the class and the teacher can't watch them all do everything, therefore no one is actually telling her that she is doing it wrong or showing her the right way to do it.  I have a hard time watching when they aren't correcting what she is doing wrong.
  • They don't have any kind of discipline really.  They tell the kids to come back if they wander off, but that's about it.  If they are goofing off all they say is "we aren't doing that right now" and that's it.  Many kids go out of turn or do things their own way.  I feel the teacher should say "you are going to do it the right way or you won't do it.  You can go sit on your star."  (at the beginning of class they all get stars to sit on for when they are given instructions).
  • She has a hard time paying attention to what she is doing rather than the other kids.  I really think if she could do one on one sessions it would be a lot better, but we can't afford that.  
These pictures are from her first nice where she was by herself...






Top Mommy Blogs - Mom Blog Directory

2 comments:

  1. I'm late to comment on this but here's my point of view. It sounds like its not the right class for Lillie. Maybe you can find a different class in your area for her or get her involved in something else. I've had to play the field a bit when it comes to things I've done with Declan. All classes are not the same. They could be really great gymnasts and good with older kids but it takes a special kind of person to keep the attention of little kids and yo be able to keep them interested and involved. It makes a huge difference in how much the kids enjoy what they're doing. Just my two cents. You've probably already made a decision anyway. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's what I figure too Mel. There's just so few options around here. Or so few Known options. People around here really have no idea how to advertise things!

    ReplyDelete

Your ramblings...