Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Mommies Don't Quit

Warning: If you are having trouble TTC, this may not be a post you want to read at this time. Like my subtitle says, the TRUTH about Miscarriage, Motherhood and Secondary Infertility.

Last night was a break down for me. By the time we made the 20 minute drive home from the grocery store I had been called, stupid and a jerk, told "don't talk to me" and "leave me alone" numerous times. By the time we reached the driveway I was frustrated and crying. I called my mom and asked to go over for dinner. And of course my child was pretty much an angel while we were there.

I have read article after article saying that a 2 year old doesn't know how to back talk*. Well I don't believe it. If I tell my daughter "we don't use words like that, they aren't nice" she yells back to me "NO, Don't talk to me mom!" So I will say something like "You shouldn't talk to mommy that way." or "I'm your mommy and I will talk to you."

When she's freaking out because something isn't going her way I try to get her to calm down by sitting with me and talking about it, but that just creates an even bigger issue because she doesn't want to sit with me. I don't think she quite understands the concept of time out yet. It bothers her to have to sit there, but she doesn't relate why she's sitting there with what she did, even when I explain it to her.

She will get mad and bring her hand up like she is going to hit me and I will tell her "hitting isn't nice. Would you like it if mommy hit you?" Her new response is "Yes hit me mommy."

We have used spanking a few times and while it gets her attention, it has thinking that any time something she doesn't like happens, or when she can't get something to work, she can "spank". Her poor dolls have been abused because she can't get the size 4 diaper to fit them and because she tries putting a toddler sized blanket on her doll stroller and pushing it. I don't want her thinking that any time some one makes her mad she can hit them because "It's a spanking".

I refuse to give up though, I will NOT be a mommy on Nanny 911 and I will NOT have a child that runs my house. I don't know how I will accomplish this yet, but I will. I WILL NOT GIVE UP!

* Yes I know moat people think their kids are advanced in some way, but do not believe my daughter has the inteligence of a 2 year old. I believe she is some where near 2 1/2 or 3 when it comes to comprehension and language. And this is not my own opinion, her pediatrition can't believe the conversations she can have for such a young age and neither can most strangers we run into at the store.

1 comment:

  1. I know I'm going to be there with our darling little bug sooner or later. Maybe I'll use the "Mommy time out" strategy. As in, you are not behaving and I can't stand it so I'm going to take a time out in another room and you don't get the pleasure of getting a reaction.

    ReplyDelete

Your ramblings...