Friday, January 13, 2012

My Goal for 2012

Or you could say my New Year's Resolution. Yes, I know, I'm a little late. Thing is, I don't really like the work "resolution" for some reason, I would much rather make it my goal for the year.

Anyway, I kind of have 2 goals this year.

First I want to start doing Once.A.Month.Cooking (OAMC).  I'm hoping that I can make this work for my family.  I find that we eat out a lot or have prepared meals a lot because there just isn't enough time in a day for me to plan and prepare meals the way I should, not to mention the only time I have to get to the grocery store is on the weekends or during my lunch at work.  I have found in the past that even when I only plan a weeks worth of meals, a lot of food goes to waste.  Things change, schedules change, and depending on the day I just might not feel like cooking.  Hopefully freezing meals will cut down on the effort put forth on a weekly and daily basis for healthier eating.

Second, we need to work on our debt.  When I graduated college we had no debt other than my school loans, I even owned my car!  Shortly after graduation my car took a crap, not a big deal, I bought a new car and resolved to having a payment for the next 3 years I think it was.  What I didn't realize was how taken I had gotten on the Jeep we bought.  Regardless we were able to save $13000 in a year for our wedding and honeymoon.  What got us was the souvenirs on our honeymoon and then our computer crashing just after we got back.  Had we not had to try and pay for that all in one month I really think we would have been ok.  Oh and I relaxed on keeping track of what money we were spending where.  This was the biggest help to us saving so much money.  I literally knew where every penny we spent went and when we spent too much in an area one week, we got less for that the next week.  I WAS ANAL.  Now, almost 4 and a half years later we are in some major debt.  Yes there are things that we wouldn't have been able to prevent, like the Jeep taking a crap before it was paid off, or some of the medical bills, but I've let this uncontrolled (as in not keeping track of the extra spending) go too far.  I started putting food on credit cards and not paying cash, which was always my motto.  "If I don't have the cash, I don't need it."

So there you have it, my goals for 2012.  I'll have a follow up post on what I've done so far and where I plan to go from here.



Top Mommy Blogs - Mom Blog Directory

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your ramblings...